The Detective by Day series are lightweight mysteries that draw on my experiences working in the entertainment industry in Los Angeles. I often encountered the various people chasing fame, be it a sprint, a marathon or a journey that never quite reaches the finish line. These are the people who populate Dayna Anderson’s world. If you’d like to meet them, read on.
Book 1: Hollywood Homicide
- Named one of BookBub’s 100 Best Crime Novels of All Time
- Agatha Award for Best First Novel
- Anthony Award for Best First Novel
- 2018 Lefty Award for Best Debut Mystery Novel
- 2018 Independent Publisher Award (Ippy) Gold Medal for Best First Book – Fiction
- Barry Award Nominee for Best Paperback Original
- Macavity Award Nominee for Best First Mystery Novel
Release: August 8, 2017
The Surprise Hit of the Season!
Actress Dayna Anderson’s Deadly New Role: Homicide Detective
Dayna Anderson doesn’t set out to solve a murder. All the semifamous, mega-broke actress wants is to help her parents keep their house. So after witnessing a deadly hit-and-run, she pursues the fifteen grand reward. But Dayna soon finds herself doing a full-on investigation, wanting more than just money—she wants justice for the victim. She chases down leads at paparazzi hot spots, celeb homes, and movie premieres, loving every second of it—until someone tries to kill her. And there are no second takes in real life.
Click here to order at Midnight Ink’s site.
“[A] winning first novel and series launch . . . Garrett writes with humor and insight about the Hollywood scene. Readers will look forward to Day’s further adventures.”—Publishers Weekly (starred review)
“Veteran TV writer Garrett uses her Cold Case experience to inform her debut, which sets up more than one charming character and isn’t afraid to go cynical on all things LA.”—Kirkus Reviews
“Funny, lively characters populate this new Detective by Day series . . . this will be an entertaining entry into the amateur sleuth genre.”―RT Book Reviews
Book 2: Hollywood Ending
- One of the TODAY show’s “Best Summer Reads” for 2019
- Anthony Award Nominee for Best Paperback Original
- Lefty Award Nominee for Best Humorous Novel
- One of Suspense Magazine’s “Best of 2018” books in the Cozy Mystery category
- One of CrimeReads “20 Best Crime Novels of 2018“
- One of Book Riot’s “Rioters’ Favorite Mysteries, Thrillers, And True Crime of 2018.”
- One of Dru’s Book Musings Favorite Books of 2018
Tinseltown’s awards season is in full swing, and everyone is obsessed with dressing up, scoring free swag, and getting invited to the biggest awards shows of the year. But when popular Silver Sphere Awards publicist Lyla Davis is killed during a botched ATM robbery, the celebratory mood comes to an abrupt halt.
Dayna Anderson—an actress turned apprentice private investigator—uncovers the killer almost immediately. Unfortunately, what starts as an open-and-shut case turns out to be anything but. Lyla’s murder was no robbery-gone-wrong. Someone hired the gunman to kill her. Diving back into the investigation, Dayna gets a backstage look at the worlds of gossip blogging, Hollywood royalty, and one of entertainment’s most respected awards shows—all while trying to avoid her own Hollywood ending.
Click here to order at Midnight Ink’s site
Recently selected as one of Suspense Magazine’s “Best of 2018” books in the Cozy Mystery category!
One of Book Riot’s 2018 Mystery & Thrillers to Be Excited For!
“I’ve been looking forward to this since I finished Hollywood Homicide because I loved the characters so much. I am here for more of this cozy mystery/women’s fiction and look forward to seeing what Dayna Anderson and her friends get into. And it looks like this time around Dayna is a P.I.’s apprentice so I’m excited to see her evolution from amateur sleuth.”—Book Riot